Update from Tokyo: Nine Deuce on the Loose

16 Jul

I’ve always wanted to make that dumb rhyme. I apologize to everyone for my absence. I’m on vacation right now and can’t be bothered to argue with people who feel oppressed by my vagina ownership (see recent comments). I’m in the Tokyo airport on a layover right now and don’t feel like writing other than to say Japan has the world’s best selection of soda flavors. I’ll get on it again soon, I promise — and I’ll be approving comments at least once daily — but for now my main concern is getting these three days of travel over with and getting myself settled on Pulau Perhentian Besar (look it up, I promise you’ll want to come meet me).

13 Responses to “Update from Tokyo: Nine Deuce on the Loose”

1. berryblade July 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM #

i am so jealous.

2. Polly Styrene July 16, 2009 at 8:01 PM #

Me too. Don’t waste your hols on the internet! you can do that anytime…..

3. Argive July 20, 2009 at 1:59 AM #

I lived in Japan for a while when I was a kid. The place definitely has the best selection of sport drinks with poorly-thought out names. My favorites were Calpis (say it out loud) and Pocari Sweat. Yum.

• Nine Deuce July 21, 2009 at 10:24 AM #

Yeah, I remember Pocari Sweat from the first time I went to Japan. I nearly fell down when I saw someone drinking it.

4. PattiLain July 20, 2009 at 6:51 AM #

I’m so jealous too… How do you afford these awesome holidays on an academic salary?

• Nine Deuce July 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM #

My uncle gives me airline passes, and I spend less money in Malaysia and Indonesia per day than I do at home, even including places to stay. If one isn’t a priss, one can be pretty comfortable for US $25-30 a day.

5. Nanella July 21, 2009 at 5:33 AM #

Hope you have a misogyny-free holiday in paradise!

6. harmony July 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM #

a couple questions, 9d.

one — what ever happened to the series “the world hates people with vaginas”? i noticed you started a new series about man(sculinity) hating, but i hope you’ll also be continuing “twhpwv” series?? (please?!)

two — did you get the essay? i never heard back from you. i figure you’re probably busy, but a part of me is unsure if it ended up in your spam filter or in your inbox. if you did get it, can i look forward to getting an email with some feedback one day? i know this wasn’t part of the deal, but your opinion on feminism is very highly respected by me, as are your abilities as a writer, so it would be much appreciated. even if it’s just a line or two.

• Nine Deuce July 25, 2009 at 4:05 AM #

I’ll continue both. I have a lot of ongoing series. I got the essay, but I’ll have to respond when I get back from vacation.

• harmony July 25, 2009 at 6:38 AM #

awesome! in the meanwhile, you and your readers might want to check this out: http://jezebel.com/5296935/bacardi-ad-uses-misogyny-to-sell-alcohol-to-women

“A disgusting new promotional site for Bacardi Breezers says all that women need to be more attractive is to find an more unattractive female friend to stand next to.”

• C.L. August 2, 2009 at 3:39 AM #

Margaret from Jezebel reports:

According to Copyranter, Israeli ad agency McCann Digital launched the “Get An Ugly Girlfriend!” site in Hebrew and English along with a Hebrew-only facebook group to promote the fruit-flavored alcoholic beverages.

So this is what the Zionists are up to when they’re not busy starving Palestinians to death, eh? Why am I not surprised…

7. spamphobic July 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM #

I learned about your blog through an acquaintance. It is very creative and entertaining. I admit I haven’t read all of the text and links, so forgive me if you have commented on this topic. I would love to read your comments/rage about “the extra stitch.” I am sure you’ve heard of it, but just in case, here is a forum which will fill in some details for you.

8. Turel August 2, 2009 at 7:54 AM #

:3 Let me know how the chicken flavored Icecream is! A friend of mine from Japan told me they had it, though she might have been joking.